Saturday, September 26, 2009

TODAY HAS BEEN ONE OF THE MOST WONDERFUL DAYS OF MY LIFE!

It is cool outside! It´s softly raining!. Cloudy skies! Quiet rumors of cars slowly and carefully passing by!. Parents gone to work, vendors visiting our little commercial plaza, and children coming back, bused, from school!.

Why am I saying this has been one of the most wonderful days of my life?. The day started gloomy, the poems I was editing for my wife brought me gloomy memories, while sitting at my desk in front of my laptop, my faithful companion, these days. My spirit feeling an inner need to find the way to make a mark on things!.

With all this on the back of my mind, this morning I was wondering how I could leave a legacy so they will always remember, not only with love but with respect, the last phases of my life.

As is said in some of the poems I was editing, I have told, time and time again, that the only keys to a truly meaningful life are: truthfulness, integrity, forbearance and willingness to pay the price of dismissal, isolation or rejection by the systems. In other words, simply stated, selfness at all costs!.

But, sometimes is hard to keep on going on, when you see it applied to your own, and when you see that your ideals are considered not politically or viventially correct by the masses of today.

It is hard not to lose your peace when you see that loss and grief have torn apart the world we thought we knew, and that words never seem to be enough for things we can´t undo, as another of the poems said.

Then, after watching some documentaries on TV about the inconsistencies and intolerance between individuals when facing issues of race, the intellectual clouds began to lighten up, as we meditated upon what that wonderful woman poet of Maya Angelou had to say about human kind as a whole.


I cannot resist presenting, with pictures and songs, what she so profoundly and artfully expressed.


Human Family! .


Poem by Dr. Maya Angelou, read at the dedication of the Disney Millennium Village.

I note the obvious differences in the human family.
Some of us are serious, some thrive on comedy.

Some declare their lives are lived as true profundity,
and others claim they really live the real reality.

The variety of our skin tones can confuse, bemuse, and delight,
brown and pink, and beige and purple, tan and blue, and white.

I've sailed upon the seven seas and stopped in every land.
I've seen the wonders of the world, not yet one common man.

I know ten thousand women called Jane and Mary Jane,
but I've not seen any two, who really were the same.

Mirror twins are different although their features jibe,
and lovers think quite different thoughts while lying side by side.

We love and lose in China, we weep on England's moors,
and laugh and moan in Guinea, and thrive on Spanish shores.

We seek success in Finland, are born and die in Maine.
In minor ways we differ, in major we're the same.

I note the obvious differences between each sort and type,
but we are more alike, my friends than we are unalike.

We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.
We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.



Because it is so stupid to believe that our particular group owns the earth and has the right to impose social control oriented mores, when they deviate from sound and fundamental principles of truth, rightfulness and real love and concern for one another.

And more stupid to bend over, just for the sake of accommodating ourselves
to a submissive way of living as the price to be left alone,
in peace, and not hurt, abused, or destroyed
by the rampant waves of the mediocre but audacious predators
that proliferate because of our weak and coward compromising.

That´s what I said to my son, who argued that what is going on has always gone on,
through the times and the ages,
with just the changes in names and scope of influence of the powerful of this world.
Because if we accept all this, we have to conclude we, as the human race,
do not deserve to live on this earth.

Then I went back to my computer to write and release my thoughts on its board,
checking my emails, and then, the gift of hope came through the internet waves,
as a message from my friends, telling that we have a purpose for our lives,
and that what we need is God in it,
as He needs us because of His love for us, His created ones.

Rejoice and meditate on the message. It can make your day one of the most wonderful days as it did with mine.


YOU NEEDED ME. I NEEDED YOU.

I cried a tear, you wiped it dry. I was confused, you cleared my mind.
I sold my soul; you bought it back for me,
and held me up and gave me dignity.
Somehow you needed me.

You gave me strength to stand alone, again.
To face the world out on my own again!
You put me high upon a pedestal.
So high that I could almost see eternity!
You needed me. You needed me.

And I can´t believe it´s you. I can´t believe it´s true.
I needed you and you were there.
And I´ll never leave; why should I leave?
I´d be a fool ´cause I finally found someone who really cares.

You held my hand when it was cold.
When I was lost you took me home.
You gave me hope when I was at the end,
and turned my lies back into truth, again!

You even called me friend.
You gave me strength to stand alone, again.
To face the world out on my own again!

You put me high upon a pedestal.
So high that I could almost see eternity!
You needed me. You needed me.

This gave me the strength to finish what I have started to write
and post in this blog what I visualized
as my potential legacy
after reaching the golden age of 72 well lived years.

I did choose to love and be faithful to what I believe was right and true.
I hope I had pointed out enough thoughts, enough times,
so we all have the opportunity to make a mark on things,
as said and hoped for in one of the poems I was editing today.

No comments: