Friday, August 22, 2008

Life should be an exercise on Righteousness, Daring and Discernment!

Very recently one of my friends sent me a series of messages where one of the most stunning statements was… Silencing the truth is worst than lying!

Silencing it to ourselves or others! Lying to or purposely deceiving ourselves or others!
Out of convenience! To gain any kind of personal gain not on the path of righteousness! Even if it looks so to our compromising eyes! Or if what is usually done! Or if means riding the waves! Or if it is what is expected! Or because we rationalize the issue of compromising for the sake of some good to accomplish!

Usually, out of deference and desire to avoid misunderstandings and confrontations with ourselves when facing difficult or adverse circumstances, we state it and accept it as a valid or inevitable alternative to evade the issues, go along with other opinions or actions, or find a way to negotiate a middle way solution, without understanding or less of all accepting that experiences and their derived consequences and lessons are the natural fabric of life, and should be never evaded or forgotten so the same past mistakes are not repeated.

Even if “compromising” (conveniently made it mean to find a common or neutral way to face challenges and circumstances) is a valid alternative in the business and almost every way of life, we should always have in mind that life is an exercise on righteousness, daring vision, and discernment about the actions and decisions to make.

As the routine of the present days of resting is setting up in my spirit, my mind and my emotions, things and circumstances that have faded in my memory are coming back with a vividness that makes you wonder why and how you had been able to forget them.


At the present time we are staying in Santa Tecla, El Salvador, at my oldest son Robert´s home. It is a very nice upper middle class neighborhood. But I had not realized that it did lie just about 10 city blocks from the center square and market where 21 years ago, in the short term YWAM missionary training outreach we did evangelize, presented dramas, distributed Bibles, stayed in a nearby Theological Evangelical Institute, and were witnesses to many spiritual experiences.

Yesterday, I invited my wife and we did walk to the square and the market.

We were utterly amazed when seeing that things looked almost the same as 21 years ago. The same restaurants, the same vendor stalls, the same peace and fortitude in the faces of older and younger people alike that so strongly knocked down at the doors of our souls back in 1987.

I was specially moved by the placid countenance of a young girl, with a baby in her arms, who sold us a fruit delicacy by the dozen. And I say so because I am still wondering about the whys and hows of the hard, vacant, negatively resigned, aggressive stances and stares of so many people I recently witnessed during the last and past two months in my native country

Back in 1987, there were neither condominiums nor parks erected where we are presently living. It was just coffee land and exuberant vegetation all around! Just a merely 10 city blocks from the heart of the city where we flexed our missionary muscles for the first time in our lives!


Today, walking in the days early morning hours just 8 days before becoming a young 71 years old guy on my way to my 104 young at heart destination, I have been meditating, while enjoying the beautiful flowers, the already growing leaves and branches on the trees stumps leaves, and the shaded paths, I wondered how easy is to find rest and solace when we give up our worldly expectations to the Lord and enjoy the beautiful and simple and abundant examples of His wonderful creations.

I enjoyed walking along the paths of the little park, seeing mangoes and avocados fall from trees, listening to honking vehicles passing by, and taking pictures of the beautiful flowers and leaves, while some humble and probably unemployed poor and older people sat on the benches at such an early time of the day.

But what impressed me the most, was the peace I saw in their eyes and their stoical attitude towards life and hardships, as little flowers of resignation but not of despair, alongside the blooming ones that grow without caring for the social struggles of the day.

While enjoying all this it was that the statement above came strongly to my mind making me to resolve myself to write in a more comprehensive way about all the social and Christian experiences of my past.


Enjoy as I did the flowers and the leaves, and wait for the incoming postings in my blog.


No comments: