Thursday, March 25, 2010

WHAT THIS WORLD, OF CRAZIED HUMAN BEINGS, SO DESPERATELY NEEDS IS “DISCERNMENT AND RESOLVE”, BUT GOD´S, NOT HUMAN´S STYLE ONES!

As you all, the benevolent readers of these digressions already well know, I am an avid reader and watcher, of electronic messages and newspapers and television news, through the truly amazing, internet waves and devices.

When young, it was my daily duty to read newspapers, and analyze articles, to prepare a daily summary of collective tendencies, that could threaten the status quo, and the government I served.

I never believed in indiscriminate violence, as it only begets more violence, and if not controlled and wiped out, by way of cleverer psychological maneuvering, chaos is the only result, and the consequent way of living, for our desperately confused societies. This was my reasoning at that time.

But time does not go by inadvertently. Time does not go by without leaving behind a lesson. Better said, myriads of lessons that we stubbornly refuse to pay attention to and draw the logical consequences.

Men, usually, only perceive the external signs in our human behavior. Even when we try to open ourselves to scrutiny and guidance! They only see the grey, white and black hair mixed and messed up by circumstances.

They only see our deep eyebrows, our no longer fresh face and our sagging bellies, and so try to, honestly, but only humanly, even if spiritually motivated, discern and advice what they, again, honestly believe is what is most needed by us at the time.

There is an almost universally misunderstood or apprehended concept in the Bible. That of “eternity placed in the hearts of men”.

Sometimes this is visualized as a longing for paradisiacal blessings and enjoyment. Other times as the rightful claim for them, to be enjoyed while we are on this earth in a very prodigal son fashion!

This happens so because we usually confuse the trimmings, and the overflowing, with the purity of the essence of inner peace, and discernment.

God talks, shares, soothes, guides, caress, wakens us up, call to our door, through dreams, melancholic longings and awareness, as those that come to us, while wandering in the solitude of the spiritual deserts.

He usually does not speak while we are immersed, anonymously shouting and jumping, amongst the excitement, and the behavioral pull and push, of the crowds and the masses.

He doesn´t, either, while we are subjugated by the guilt hollering prophets and psychological gurus, of all types and kinds, so highly popular in these days of chaos and confusion.

Last Monday, I had one of those experiential longings and I went out to seek understanding, advice and guidance, because of one of these melancholy bouts.

Because these days I do not drive anymore, I used public transportation, which passes just at the entrance gate of our residential compound. And it was quite an experience.

Our usual busy surroundings this morning was a chaos. Buses were being used to block the road to the city by their drivers forced by the owners of the businesses to violently claim for more financial incentives and subsidies from the government.

And old lady, waiting at the bus stop, highly distressed, asked me to make change so she could call her daughter to come and pick her up to take her safely home.

Two drivers were ostensibly aggressive, sitting on the sidewalk, watching a policeman trying to ease the traffic and letting us, the walkers, crossed, again, safely, to the other side of the street, to be able to take the circulating busses.

And people patiently, as used as they are to the abuse and lousy behavior of the bus drivers, piled on in the center of the bus, filled to the hilt, as we all were sardines in a can, or matches in a box, while slowly going up hill towards the city.

Surprisingly, it only took half an hour to reach the city. I was more than an hour early for my appointment. So, I leisure walked around, killing time and gathering my thoughts and feelings.


It was a very cool morning.
The cars and buses were just that, buzzing through the streets
as if they were streaks of lightning.



And then, just two blocks away, I found a quiet place on a corner, beautified as a garden access to a crossing over footbridge.

It was then that I felt the presence of God.




And old man was sitting, reading a book under a cluster of flowers, his stockinged feet, free from his well worn shoes.


I could not resist taking a picture, as I felt something was knocking at the door of my conscience. I FELT IT AS A GLIMPSE OF HUMAN DISCERNMENT AND RESOLVE, SEEING THEMSELVES DISCARDED BY THE RUNNING AWAY, AND THE CHASING RAINBOWS, PEOPLES.

Then, I kept on walking on a circle around the blocks to get back to the place I was to visit.

I passed by the installations of one of the largest radio corporations of the city. The street was quiet, cars parked in an unending row, security guards silently watching us passing through. Another example of busyness of the unresting world!

A block away two girls were giggledly asking, another old guy behind bars, to sell them lollipops. One more block, and I passed by the closed doors of a pastor I used to deal with, many years ago, when placing his sermons in the airways of the Christian TV station I used to manage. And no cars passing by, noising the quietness of the surroundings.

Then, after almost two hours of chatting and sharing, I went back home, still looking for a glimpse of orientation and guidance, and assurance that the melancholic longing had a purpose of its own, and a confirmation message would come to my spirit.

And it surely came! I bought a bag of a fresh fruit I love, to enjoy it with my wife and son, back home. I took another bus for the trip back and, surprisingly, I found a seat beside a young woman and her “months old” child.

The little girl kept on smiling at me, taking hold of one of my fingers and playing with it, with such a peaceful and smiling face as she felt cozy, safe and secure. And this lasted the whole one hour drive until they got out almost at the same time as I had to, just a few bus stops before my destination.

And then, after I got home, having lunch, hugging my wife and listening a little while to the instrumental music, she so loves to listen, I went upstairs to check my emails, and I found this message waiting, sent by son of one of my former fellow officers in the army.
THAT´S GOD!



Is all this coincidence or a message from our loving God?
I leave it to you to decide it.
For me, it is the message I titled, this morning,
after waking up with such a peace in my spirit,
as:


WHAT THIS WORLD, OF CRAZIED HUMAN BEINGS,
SO DESPERATELY NEED IS “DISCERNMENT AND RESOLVE”,
BUT GOD´S, NOT HUMAN´S STYLE ONES!

And the assurance that He loves us and blesses us
in the midst of little pleasant things and gestures,
the laughter of the children,
and the messages from the people
who love us, and keep us in their hearts.



And the exhortation to become like children,
and sing His praises in gratitude and wonderment.

Because He has already paid the price for our salvation,

forgiveness, reconciliation, and inner peace

despite any adverse circumstances!


No comments: